Government Shipping Office was established at Karachi Port on 21 May 1948. This was originally a subordinate office of the Ministry of Commerce, and was later placed under the administrative control of the Ports and Shipping Wing, Karachi (Ministry of Communications). It now functions under the Ministry of Maritime Affairs.
The Shipping Office is performing functions in accordance with the provision of Chapter 3 of the Merchant Shipping Ordinance 2001 (MSO 2001) Section 6 of MSO 2001 stipulates as under.
(1) The Federal Government shall maintain a shipping office at every port in Pakistan where there was a shipping office immediately before the commencement of this Ordinance and may establish and maintain such office at any other port as it may deem necessary.
(2) For every shipping office. the Federal Government shall appoint a Shipping Master and may appoint such Deputy Shipping Masters as it may consider necessary possessing such qualifications as may be prescribed.
(3) A Shipping Master and a Deputy Shipping Master shall, in the performance of their functions, be subject to the general supervision and control of the Federal Government or of such other authority as the Federal Government may, by general or special order, direct.
(4) All acts done by or before a Deputy Shipping Master shall have the same effect , as if done by or before a Shipping Master.
Internal Distribution of Responsibilities
SSB / SID Section.
- Deals with Issuance of fresh, duplicate, renewal / extension of SSB / SID card.
- Maintenance of records of SSB/CDC.
- Arrangement of medical examination of seafarer.
- Issuance of cookery certificate.
- Maintenance of lists of seafarers.
- Promotions/demotion cases.
- Arrange meetings of SEB & DC .and PC.
- Engagement & discharge of seafarers
- Issue of port clearance (incoming & out going ships) for ships with Pakistani crew.
- Redressal of grievances of seafarers, regarding wages dues etc.
- Managing the database / record of Seafarers and the Manning Agencies.
- Updation of Website.
- Administrative Correspondence.
- Maintenance of personal files/services books & all other matters related to staff.
- Printing of salable forms.
- Attending court cases.
- Maintenance of accounts including revenue receipts and expenditure.
- Reconciliation of accounts.
- Preparation of budget.
- Audit of accounts.
- Disbursement of Deferred Credit & Gratuity to retired seafarer.
- Facilitation for death compensation disbursment to legal heirs of deceased seafarer.